Friday, August 28, 2009

Veraval : The fishy land :)

One place i always wanted to visit as a kid because of its rare attraction (in Gujarat) - The Beach !!

Finally went to this coastal part of India.. It was a four hour journey in an ST Bus from Junagadh. The first thing I noticed on entering Veraval was coconuts. what else !!

This place was a major seaport for the pilgrims of Mecca till the route through Surat came to the scene. It boasts of a continuous coast line which is majorly uninterrupted and non-commercialized. Lot of virgin coasts to explore. The sea here is absolutely stormy and the entire coastline rocky. The entire area is on a high alert and venturing into the seas for leisure is prohibited. I have only seen such ferocious nature of the seas when I went to Kanyakumari and Rameshwaram down South.... but atleast the coastlines there are smooth nd not rocky....

Veraval houses the Indian Rayon Plant of Aditya Birla Group (now known as Aditya Birla Nuvo Ltd.)... and the main industry here is fishery. There are hundreds of fishing boats lined up at the jetty which can be seen as one enters the city... flags flying high like the ones in Pirates of Carribean.. most of them being the flags of India to avoid being identified as trespassers by border security of India or neighbours...

A special note must go to the fact that the local fishing boats or trawlers are still made by tradition using only a measure tape and not any other instruments ! Strange !!

now i was caught unawares in this small coastal city. I had to return Junagadh by the night but got a call and had to visit Kodinar the next day.. so here I was without an extra pair of clothes, laptop, etc. etc... So I bought everything from this place to make me go one more day !.. including a mobile charger for my rare phone ! :)... Koutons to the rescue and 80 % Sale on Garments is all I wanted... :)
and was all set to leave for Una and then to Diu for the night stay (;))..... one more strange experience on this travel.. the bus was stuffed with villagers and i landed up on a seat between a strange smelling fat guy and a typical village lady who was probably taller than me and looked stronger too !.. .. the lady asked me whether the bus would stop at some village.. i could only say that I am going to Una and the rest I dont know, its better to ask the bus conductor. She looked at me as if I was a dumb person parcelled into the bus against my wishes! .. the person infront of me started smoking a bidi... could it get better ! n he was a chain smoker.. .. I just decided to take out my iPod... and as ssoon as i did that.. ppl around me looked at me like I was some alien.. the fatso next to me couldnt take his eyes off.. for a moment I thought I was going to get robbed., but gave in to the status quo !... Did I have options ! ? NO !.. Finally reached Una with my cellphone all discharged.. used the STD booth and contacted the person with whom I was supposed to go to Diu.. finally in the cozy confines of the ever so familiar Indigo LS...

finally after a good round of starters , here i am in Diu, Four down :) at 2.00 am !! .. .. Cheers ! ..
Long day tommorrow ahead.. got to get up at 7.00 am... :(:(

---------------------------
Total ODO = 280 kms
Date of Travel: 27th Aug

No comments: